More Fun Things to Check Out
Bike Sales & Rentals are available at:
- Village Sports-Bike rentals, 394 Main Street, New London, NH 603-526-4948, http://www.villagesportsllc.com
- Bob Skinner’s Ski & Sport, Rt. 103, Newbury, NH 603-763-2303
Other Places to Check Out and Things to Do
- Bradford Bog, Located in a secluded area of central NH, Bradford Bog affords the rewards of silence and solitude in addition to an up-close view of one of the state’s northernmost Atlantic white cedar swamps. A variety of natural community types occur at Bradford Bog, and some of them, like the inland Atlantic white cedar swamp itself, are considered exemplary.
- A map, information and pictures can be found at: http://www.nhdfl.org/events-tours-and-programs/visit-nh-biodiversity/bradford-bog.aspx (from the NH Division of Forests and Lands, Natural Heritage Bureau)
- Danbury Bog, The wetlands at Danbury bog support a variety of native and migrating waterfowl, including mallards, black ducks, wood ducks and ring-necked ducks. Other common wildlife includes great blue heron, beaver, muskrat, otter, white-tailed deer, moose, coyotes, woodcock and ruffed grouse. The bog has a limited warmwater fishery, which includes pickerel and bullheads. From the center of Danbury, take Route 104 south and take the first right. Travel .3 miles and the dam site will be on the left. A small parking area for 2 to 3 cars and a wildlife management area sign are adjacent to the dam. Canoes and small boats can easily be launched from the damsite.
- Philbrick-Cricenti Bog, If you’d like to walk on water, you’ll find your perfect chance at Philbrick-Cricenti Bog. Formed by arctic plant species that grew across the top of a glacial pond, a living mat of moss and sedge, http://hikenh.netfirms.com/TDPCBog.htm
- Ruggles Mine, Route 4, Grafton 603-523-4275, http://www.rugglesmine.com/
- Schroeder Farm, 126 Sutton Rd, Newbury, NH 603-938-5911, Spring, Summer & Fall, an open farm where children can visit with the animals.
- Sunapee Cruises, Sunapee Harbor, NH 603-938-6465, Cruise around Lake Sunapee on a narrated tour, http://www.sunapeecruises.com
- Seeing New Hampshire from a balloon is a unique perspective, http://www.hotairballoon.org/nh/index.htm
- The Hogan Center at Colby-Sawyer College, 100 Main St, New London, NH 603-526-3685, Field House, Indoor Pool, Indoor Track, Fitness Center, Ray Indoor Climbing Wall, racquetball/walleyball courts, squash/handball court, http://www.colby-sawyerathletics.com/sports/2009/8/17/GEN_0817090030.aspx?path=hogan&
- Sunset Lanes Bowling Center -Candlepin bowling & Arcade Games, 15 John Stark Highway, Newport, NH 603-863-5086, http://www.sunsetlanes-lounge.com
- Upper Valley Fun Center-Roller Skating & Arcade Games, 180 US Route 4, Enfield, NH 603-632-7878, http://www.greatviewrollerskating.com